Memorial Day weekend has always felt like the kick off for summer to me. Growing up my family would head north to our family cottage in Canada every Memorial Day and spend time at the beach on Lake Huron. The last couple years have been a little different since I've moved away and even though I miss traveling to our cottage on Memorial Day I try to keep the tradition alive and end up at the beach no matter where I am. I grew up in a family of beach bums and living in Hawaii for 3 years only made my love for going to the beach grow. I have had a lot of experience packing and prepping for the beach (and undoubtedly have made many mistakes) and think that I have beach essentials down pat finally. Here are my favorite beach essentials.
- A big beach bag, I personally love to pick up a new one each summer as part of my summer tradition. I don't spend a lot of money on my beach bags as I know they will get sunscreen spilled in them, get thrown on the ground at the pool, on the boat and in the sand. I picked up this straw tote at Target for under $40! I've seen a lot of similar styles like this season (straw bags with tassels) and think it's crazy to pay $100 for a straw bag! This one is nice and big and durable. Here are a few similar options as well here, here and here.
- A big hat is something that I only started bringing with me to the beach the last couple years...but I wish I would have done it sooner! The sun in Hawaii is SUPER intense and caused me to be proactive in protecting my skin while I was at the beach. A big hat is not only nice to cover wet salty messy hair but it is also good skin protection from those harsh UV rays. I picked up this fun floppy hat at Target for $15. Here are a few other cute options here, here and here.
- Ok, how cute are these Flamingo towel clips?! They are so handy in making sure your towel will stay in place and not slide down your chair annoyingly every time you move.
- Sunscreen...make sure that it hasn't expired! It's not pictured but I use a waterproof cosmetic case to store my sunscreen so if it spills I can just rinse it out and move on with my day.
- Snacks and water, probably a no duh suggestion. There has been many times I've rushed out of the house without both and felt awful when I left the beach hungry and dehydrated. I try to pack something healthy so I don't cave and eat a bag of chips or 3 hot dogs (it's happened more than once lol). I love Turkey Jerky, trail mix, cut up veggies with hummus, pineapple with coconut chips or these yummy Cocoa Banana Chips. A cute new water bottle doesn't hurt either ;).
What beach essentials can you not live without? I'd love to know!
Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!